Now that summer has arrived more kids will be outside enjoying the warm weather and having fun. With that being said it’s important to remember to keep our kids safe while they have fun, here are some tips to keep in mind…
1. Always wear your helmet every time you get on your bike. Make sure your straps are adjusted to fit snugly.
2. Kneepads, elbow pads and gloves can be worn to prevent serious injuries
3. Wear the proper clothing. Light colored clothes or reflective garments make it easier for motorists to see your child.
4. Make sure you select the correct size for your child. If your child cannot balance on two toes while sitting on the seat, the bike seat is too high.
5. Check the bicycle brakes, tires, chains and handlebars often.
6. Keep reflectors on the front and back of your child’s bike. A small headlight can be attached for riding at dusk or at night.
7. Do not ride in neighborhoods where traffic is heavy. And always walk your bike across intersections.
8. Be Alert. Do not listen to music or talk on a cell phone while riding your bicycle. You should be able to hear approaching vehicles and animals for your safety.